Monday, August 13, 2012

Presidential Inspiration

 Being that it is an election year I find it rather fitting that my most recent source of interior design inspiration comes from a former president.  He currently resides in our basement.

Yes my friends, I am speaking of the infamous Nixon bowling photo.  In case you are unfamiliar with this masterpiece allow me to introduce you.




This photo was taken during President Nixon’s term in office in 1970 in the Old Executive Office Bowling Alley.  It was made famous by the movie “The Big Lebowski” where The Dude, an avid bowler, has this photo in a sort of shrine sitting above his bar where he concocts his White Russians.


http://thedroidyourelookingfor.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/lebowski-nixon1.jpg

Since this is my husband’s all-time-favorite movie, I decided to buy this poster as a Christmas gift for him a few years back knowing that I would have to hang it in our house.  At first, I cringed a little putting it up on our wall.  But I can honestly say that I have grown fond of Mr. President over the last few years.  So much so, that I realized recently I want to design the basement around him.

I had an epiphany the other week.  This picture is perfect.  It has exactly what I am looking for in a “loungy basement”.  Allow me to explain to you skeptics.

The color combination is perfect:  brown, gray, and indigo with pops of red.  I already have the brown, gray and red going on in the basement, but I feel like it was missing something.  Indigo blue.  This is the perfect slightly unexpected accent color.




I am also totally digging the loungy late 1960’s vibe that this photo exudes.  The red chair = perfection!  And I cannot say enough about the awesome graphic wallpaper in the background.

I can tell you now that this does not mean that I will install a bowling alley, hang blue pattered wallpaper and buy a red chair to match the one in the photo.  This is purely for inspiration.  Here is how I plan on incorporating a little more Nixon in our basement:

1)      Find Mid-Century style furniture pieces.
2)      Use bold graphic patterns.
3)      Keep the gray paint and deep brown wood tones we currently have but add more pops of red and indigo blue.
4)      Keep it fun and kind of quirky.  Let’s face it.  This is an entertainment room.  It is supposed to be a fun and relaxing area.  I don’t want people to feel like they can’t put their feet up and have a good time.







So what do you think?  Am I crazy?  Can you picture it like I can?  We will see how my Nixon vision evolves in the coming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment